Request personal information from the Ministry of Justice

Use this service to request personal information for yourself or someone else who has given you permission to act on their behalf.

You have the right to access your personal information, known as a subject access request (SAR), under the Data Protection Act 2018.

To understand more on the data we hold about you, your rights and how to contact us about it, please read through out Personal Information charter.

This form allows you to request information held by parts of the Ministry of Justice, including the:

  • Prison Service - for security and NOMIS records about time spent in prison
  • Probation Service - for electronic case notes (nDelius) about time on probation
  • Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) - for information including lasting power of attorney records
  • Legal Aid Agency (LAA) - for information including legal aid application data

Do not use this form to request information or documents from the Courts (within HMCTS)

To request personal information that might have been recorded during a court or tribunal case, you must contact the relevant court or tribunal directly.

Use the Find a court or tribunal service to find the contact details.

Completing this online form should take around 5 minutes.

Be as specific as you can, it will help us find the information you want.

Once we have all the information we need to start processing your request, you should expect the results back within 30 days.

You will need to complete this form in one go. You cannot save and return.

We will only send information once, so please be careful about how you store anything you receive.

Before you start

You will need to provide:

  • photo ID and proof of address, dated in the last 6 months, for you and anyone else you're requesting information for (legal representatives do not need to provide this)
  • a signed letter of consent, dated in the last 6 months, if you're requesting information on behalf of someone else

If you, or the person you're requesting information for, are on probation and do not have any of the ID listed, we can accept a photograph or scan of a letter signed by a probation officer on Probation Service headed paper.

Other ways to ask for personal information from the Ministry of Justice

Under the Data Protection Act 2018, you can also make a SAR by email or post.